JSP Hosting / Tomcat Hosting (Shared Tomcat)
Our shared hosting plans and control panel (cPanel) comes with support for JSP hosting based on Apache Tomcat, developed by the Jakarta-Apache Project.
Apache Tomcat/5.5.26 offers support for Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 specifications, JDK version 1.6.0_02 and includes support for all common JSP/servlet applications such as the Struts development framework, JavaMail, etc.
Our shared Tomcat heap size max memory is set to 1024MB (1GB) which is more than enough for any type of JSP web application designed to run in a shared hosting environment.
All of our JSP hosting plans are by default based on shared JVM/Tomcat. If you need Tomcat hosting with private instance, please click here
Tomcat restart: We provide an automated Tomcat restart tool which you can use to restart the Tomcat directly from your cPanel !
JSP & Servlet Operation
cPanel (with the mod_jk module) has JSP and servlet functionality enabled on the Apache Web server. The Tomcat engine executes JSP and servlets. Once Tomcat is enabled for a site, cPanel instructs the Web server to send certain requests to Tomcat for processing. Tomcat requires an execution environment known as context, to be set up before it can execute JSPs and servlets properly.
A context is a directory structure on the server from which Tomcat can execute servlets and JSPs. cPanel automatically sets contexts for you. Please, note: we do not support Web archives (.war files).
Deploying JSPs & Servlets
Deploying JSPs and servlets on the cPanel is as easy as uploading a Web site using any FTP client. When Tomcat hosting is enabled for a site using, cPanel creates a default Tomcat context, for the virtual site in the site’s web directory.
The context path of each virtual site is: “/home/domain/public_html/WEB-INF”.
The WEB-INF directory contains configuration information for Tomcat and is the directory in which servlet class files need to be placed for deployment.
For more information, please visit the official Tomcat5 site at:
1) There is only one WEB-INF available per site – available for your main domain (www.yourdomain.com or domain.com); you can NOT have support for JSP pages and servlets for any sub-domains.
2) We support WAR deployment only for private JVM instance. Currently we do NOT support WAR with our shared JVM plans due to common problems related to incorrect path names in the actual WAR archives. You can deploy your application files via FTP or by using our Web File Manager, and you can deploy any XML or class files in the WEB-INF folder.
3) To restart your Tomcat, you can use the provided automatic Tomcat restart tool which is available under the Ã¢â‚¬Å“SoftwareÃ¢â‚¬Â section of your cPanel.
4) Resellers: You can either purchase our Reseller JVM Plan (as outlined at https://www.mochahost.com/java.php) or you can use any of our Linux based Reseller Plans and add support for JSP/servlet for extra $2/site per month (Linux plans only) – by default all of our Linux based Reseller plans come with 1 free JSP site support.
5) JSP and Tomcat hosting support is available for our Business and Mocha shared plans and for all Reseller plans.
6) We allow 1 JSP site per shared hosting account. If you need support for multiple JSP sites you can obtain one of our Private Tomcat plans which come with support for unlimited JSP sites.